Friday, January 17, 2014

Fitness Friday- Trying new Things

Oh hey, I'm blogging on a semi regular basis now...lets see how long I can keep this up!

FITNESS!

This is the first year in a long time where I don't really have specific New Years Resolutions involving weight loss or diets or getting in shape. It is kind of nice! I think what helped is that I didn't feel like I fell off track on the holidays. I stayed active with lots of walks in the snow, and then when I got back to Toronto, I still had a few days off so I did a personal 5 day hot yoga challenge.

I'm planning a big post about hot yoga, but a quick version if it is that I do Bikram style yoga, which is an hour and a half, 26 postures, 2 breathing exercises, all in a 40 degree room. And I love it!  The hardest part about doing the 5 day challenge was walking too and from Yoga in -30 degrees...blech! But I did it!! I had never done 2 days in a row, so to go 5 days straight was pretty cool. The first few were a little rusty, and then the 4th class was DEADLY (really full and really HOT), but the 5th class was really good. I probably could have continued if tutoring didn't get in the way on Tuesday.

My 5th class happened to fall on Monday the 6th (the day most people went back to work), and even though I found the class ok, 2 people had to leave the room and one girl apparently fainted. I think it may have been people diving to hard back into routine, maybe not eating/drinking enough before class! I don't want to scare anyone away from hot yoga, I have personally never felt that sick, or that weak during the class, though I am a big proponent of lying/sitting down if you get overwhelmed.

Since the hot yoga challenge, I have done a few Nike Training Club workouts, as well as a INTENSE Body Combat class (cardio kickboxing). The last (and only) time I did body combat was back in Halifax, and I didn't really like it, so I never went back! This time, I felt really goofy for the first 10-15 mins (I am NOT a fighter), but after getting into the routine, I really enjoyed the class. It was a killer workout and the instructor was fantastic. It wasn't my ultimate favourite goodlife class, but I would definitely go back!!

It was a good lesson though, that with group exercise it is good to give a class more than one shot, try a few times, with different instructors. I got a way better work out and enjoyed the class I "didn't like" compared to doing my own workout for that hour!!

Anyone else try a exercise class they like recently? Has anyone else turned a combat inspired class to a "dance" to enjoy it more??

No comments:

Post a Comment