Monday, March 12, 2012

Trying New Things and a CHALLENGE

Hi Blog Friends!

It has been a while! After my crazy busy weekend two weekends ago, I haven't stopped! Work has been busy, tutoring has started up, and gymmage has been happening, and Professional Practice Exam studyage has been going down. Don't worry I still have time for fun things, like heading up to the Kortright Conservation Centre in Vaughn with my friend Brittany, and Mike. We went for the maple sugar festival, but also got to check out the super cool Archetype Sustainable House.  Click the link for a virtual tour to experience the AWESOMENESS. Warning: may only be cool to nerdy peeps like us who were pretty much kids in a candy store the whole tour. We also took super awesome photos:

After a successful woodland adventure, we went on another adventure to Vaughn Mills for le Shopping! 

As much fun as Saturday was it isn't the main focus of this post.

The point of this post is on Sunday I went to Hot Yoga. I wasn't feeling well but I made myself get up and out of bed, and I went. And it was awesome as per usual, and it made me feel 100 times better. 

What gave me inspiration for this blog post was from hot yoga. There is a quote on the wall:

"Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still"

And then the instructor was talking about being proud of trying new things, and challenging ourselves by doing hot yoga. 

This got me thinking about how many times I have been at the gym and heard "I can't do Zumba", "Body pump is terrifying" "I can't, I won't" ETC. It drives me nuts! And the crazy thing is two years ago I was totally one of those people. I didn't want to do hot yoga for a really long time, and I didn't want to do body pump, and now I am obsessed with both of those things. 

I wish that anyone who said "I can't, I won't" tried whatever they were afraid of, just once or twice. Then if you don't like it that is cool, but just give it a shot. You may be like me and find out that you love it. At first I was painfully bad at yoga/zumba/body pump etc. I was "growing slowly" but I wasn't standing still. And now I am very comfortable with the classes, and want to share the love!

I hate being afraid of things. I always try the "strange" food, I always will go for new experiences, I guess I am slightly adventurous, within reason. One of my fave things to do is to accomplish something I couldn't do...run a 5k in 35 minutes, drive in Toronto etc.
 
Even during city chase, I faced one of my fears and held a tarantula...let's relive this:
It's so FLUFFY!
And now spiders aren't that bad.

But I have one big HUGE fear left. One thing I can't stand watching on TV and thinking about it gives me the Heebeejeebees. I am super afraid of needles, specifically needles in the arm, as in IV's and blood tests. 

So here is my new mission. Before I turn 24 I will try to donate blood. (I say try in case I go and have low iron before my bday. I will try again after that if that is the case.) That gives me a month to donate. At first I put before I'm 25, but that gives me too long of a timeline. It bothers me that I am so afraid of a completely normal thing. I bothers me to have something that could hold me back. And it bothers me that I could help someone by getting over my fear. 

So here is my challenge to you all. In the next Month you should try something new, whether it is easy as trying a new food or a new gym routine, or as extreme as facing a major fear. Do it and I am sure you will feel awesome..or weak and fainty after giving blood..ONE OR THE OTHER!

Please share your goal with me :)

So who is with me??? Who had to go get a glass of juice because they were so faint from writing about giving blood???...just me...uh oh.



No comments:

Post a Comment