Monday, August 26, 2013

Race Week, and Mud Hero, and Mike Does a Duathlon, and Early Morning Workouts....

Wow, It is already race week!! The past 10 weeks flew by, here is a how the last 2 weeks have gone.

Tuesday (Aug 13) I did indeed go for a swim after that post. I was pretty sore from Body Pump, so it wasn’t a very glamorous swim. But I did it!! Wednesday I biked 20km home from a meeting in Etobicoke (Mike dropped off my bike on his way home from school..yay planning!) Thursday I had a impromptu rest day. To make up for it, Friday was a 50 min run in the AM..blech, plus about 15 km of walking around Toronto with my parents. Saturday was another rest day with more walking. To get back into routine I did a Brick (15 km Bike, and a 30 min run/walk) on Sunday AM. Last week, I did a big Swim on Monday (800m). Tuesday I did a 760 m swim and a 45 min run pretty much back to back. 

On Tuesday night I also borrowed my friend's road bike, so on Wednesday I got to test it out by biking to Etobicoke. It was all uphill!! I was biking out to a dinner, so I packed up nice clothes, and planned to change/shower at a Goodlife out there. On my way there I realized that I forgot shoes, and I REFUSED to wear sneakers with my dress, so I quickly stopped at a Shoppers and bought some of those "Flats to go". I was so proud of myself for biking and saving gas/parking money, but then I spent $15 bucks on crappy "shoes" It also took me forever to get to the dinner. After the dinner, I biked to the TTC, took it back into town and then biked from Bathurst Station to home. On the way home, I dropped my cheap bike light, and these really nice guys ran to catch up with me (I was probably going 15 km/hr) and gave it back...amazing!!

After all that exercise, I took Thursday as a rest day (still some walking), and then Friday (I had a EDO) I finally got caught up on the schedule when I did a 20 km bike ride in the AM, then went out to Lake Kelso in Milton (the location of my Triathlon) to check out the lake, and do a open water swim. It is a beautiful area, and I am looking forward to the run and (surprising hilly) bike! The water was very warm, but cloudy. I was swimming in the swim area, not the actual spot of the Tri, but still good training. It was a pretty awful swim, but I did 750 m. I may be the last person out of the swim, but I am ok with that. I just need to not freak out, remember that I can float if I get tired, and just keep moving and breathing.
On Saturday I was up bright and early, to Albion Hills for Mud Hero! This is the 2nd time I did it, and this year we cut 8 minutes off of our time. It was a very hilly 6 km run, with obstacles, and of course MUD. The best part was I didn't even feel that tired after it and I had no muscle soreness! I am in much better shape than I was last year!! 

On Sunday morning I was up bright and early (again, zomg I need sleep) and headed over to Toronto Island because Mike did his first Duathlon! Back when I came up with the crazy idea of doing this, Mike agreed to do a duathlon. He was in the first leg at 8:00 am, and he finished in 1 hr and 35 min, not to bad for a 1st timer. 

While he was doing it (and I was running around taking pictures) I also got to go check out the swim of the Triathlon. It was pretty cool to see the swimmers all starting, and then the transition. It was definitely a good way for me to visualize everything! This event was a competitive event, so there were some world champions competing  they were pretty intense to listen to, and to check out the gear they had! We came home, watched an Ironman thing on TV (also pretty cool to watch..key word being WATCH) and then I went out for a 20 km bike. Every time I do a 20 km bike, I am cutting 3 mins from my time, so I am looking forward to see how I do on the race. 

This morning I woke up dark and early (zzzzzz) and went to Hot Yoga, and had an awesome class. It felt nice to stretch out my sore biking muscles. I only have two more big workouts, then I start to taper before the race on Sunday!!! I did every single workout on the training plan!
Yay! Actually Sticking to the plan!
I am excited but nervous. I know I am going to be at the back of the pack, but that is OK. It is my first race, and I have gotten the benefits from the training that I wanted. I have lost about 6% body fat in the past 10 weeks, which has put me from the high-normal range to the fitness-normal range!! Huzzah!! Not only that but I got to spend a lot of time outside in the beautiful early morning weather. When I get done training I will stop to take some pictures!

Anyone else prepping for a race? Anyone else needing some sleep??

No comments:

Post a Comment